Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfiction Pet Peeves

+15
Ponyta
Amoroq
kagome1991
Twin Steps
Mustang
Graeystone
Bubbles
ClassyLPS
Dianahinkle
dovey
Yuri
Strawberry
NekoKimio
The Merchant
eromreven
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fanfiction Pet Peeves - Page 2 Empty Re: Fanfiction Pet Peeves

Post by dovey Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:37 pm

I also feel the need to add Gender-bending.

Lemon (yes, I read them >.>) writers who change males to females just so Naruto can do them without it being homosexual, really piss me off. It happens mostly with Haku.

I.. just don't understand.
dovey
dovey

Back to top Go down

Post by Graeystone Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:36 am

Dianahinkle wrote:Re-posting what from my tumblr cuz I'm lazy.

1. Hiashi/Hinabi= dicks.
Its such a easy plot point and honestly it's boring. Maybe the only reason Hiashi is so hard on her is because Hinata acts and looks like his dead (probably) wife? I see their relationship as just strained. Hinata does have a nature that is very kind sometimes painfully so and she hates competition and fighting so maybe he's hard on her because of it? Maybe he figures she needs harsh treatment to be able to face the ninja world?
2. Hinata cursing.
When has she EVER cursed? Stop writing her like that and use a damn thesaurus.
3. Hinata being BFF with people from other villages.
Not going to explain much here just seems unnatural. Au's included
4. Sakura= bitch.
I have alot of mixed emotions on Sakura but she in my eyes has never been a bitch.

1) I agree with this one concerning Hiashi. If events in the Fic follow the exact pattern as Canon, then Hiashi should have the same wake up call in the story as in canon. Also writers who mix 'Control Freak Hiashi' with 'Don't Give A Damn Hiashi'. If Hiashi is a Control Freak, then yes, he would object if Hinata is hanging out with Naruto HOWEVER, if Hiashi Doesn't Give A Damn like it was implied in canon, then he wouldn't care who she hung out with including Naruto. Finally his nephew nearly killing his daughter showed him that he royally @#$#ed up with both of them. There's no real reason to keep that old attitude in the story.

Hanabi is a hard call. She's is a 'blank slate' personality. We don't know if she is kind like Hinata or a total b*tch.

2) Also Hinata using contractions(don't, can't, etc.) when speaking. Given her upbringing, speaking like that would be considered gauche and improper.

dovey wrote:I also feel the need to add Gender-bending.

Lemon (yes, I read them >.>) writers who change males to females just so Naruto can do them without it being homosexual, really piss me off. It happens mostly with Haku.

I.. just don't understand.

Something else that kind of irks me. Zazuba being a total scumball toward Haku. While Zazuba was 'harsh', he was never that cruel toward Haku. Also people tend to forget that the reason Zazuba killed Gato is because Gato kicked Haku's corpse while insulting him!
Graeystone
Graeystone

Back to top Go down

Post by Amoroq Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Some of these apply to all and of course Naruto fics:

1) I despise NaruHina Harems and Harems in general. Despise them. I personally do not believe that Hinata (of all people); whom has literally pined after Naruto all her life, would just suddenly say, "I'm willing to share!" Really? Come on now.

2)Don't like bashing

3)Little to no development of characters and relationships.

4)Full on Japanese words for expressions, jutsu/techinques, etc... Not everyone is very fluent with japanese, and it's very removing. Honorifics I don't mind.

5)NaruHina as the perfect couple. They're going to have differences, and arguments are going to happen, no matter the person.

6)Godly characters. 'Nuff said.

7)Making Hinata weak, and pale in comparison to any other character. This...I'm not even going to begin to explain this.

8)Overboarding stuttering and fainting. Becomes annoying, and long winded. Though there is one story that's just hilarious regarding this, so I overlook it. 

9)Naruto becoming a complete D-bag to everyone. Really?

10)When either Naruto/Hinata cheat on each other...Not gonna begin on that neither.

Those are mine, I will admit I'm guilty of the female Kyubi part. (Don't kill me) XD
Amoroq
Amoroq

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponyta Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:53 pm

You guys are amazing! I feel the same way! Especially you Greaystone. You hit the nail on the head. Biggest pet peeve out of all of them...is grammar. I understand that most of these fanfics are written by teenagers however, grammar is taught in elementary school...
Most of the well written one's I've read have been by people whose second language is English.

If I can't read a story because I can't understand what you're trying to say...I just...*sigh* feel dissapointed. Like the description is interesting, but then you get to the story and...just

Fanfiction Pet Peeves - Page 2 3516892631

Ah and also when people use the wrong honorifics. Even "Hina-chan" bothers me a bit...

I feel like I'm super picky so I even started writing my own, (and of course it doesn't include anything above, because that's how awesome it is), but I made it to like 40,000 words and had to stop because of school...I should pick it back up...
Ponyta
Ponyta

Back to top Go down

Post by Twin Steps Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:58 pm

I never really cared much about fanfics, only read some a few times, but I'm certain ounce NARUTO comes to an end, I'll have no choice but to do just that
Twin Steps
Twin Steps

Back to top Go down

Post by SenpaiSamaSan Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Graeystone wrote:
Spoiler:

Amoroq wrote:
Spoiler:
^These are basically my lists of pet peeves.
Another point I'd like to add is having Hinata be "spineless" or so incredibly under-confident in her pursuit of a relationship with Naruto that she NEEDS other people (usually Ino or Sakura) to goad her into situations with him and it's made explicitly clear that without their miraculous aid she would have never had the guts to talk to him. That really baffles me. A little help is fine in a fanfic, but Hinata has done fine without any outside help in canon so I don't understand this type of characterization for Hinata.

Oh, and having Hinata be excessively emotional, as in sobbing every other scene because someone criticizes her her hair or something like that.
Ponyta wrote:...
I feel like I'm super picky so I even started writing my own, (and of course it doesn't include anything above, because that's how awesome it is), but I made it to like 40,000 words and had to stop because of school...I should pick it back up...
You should finish it! I'd love to read it.
SenpaiSamaSan
SenpaiSamaSan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponyta Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Senpai!

I sooo accidentally lied...Looked at it today and it's only around 20,000 words. (In my defense I haven't touched it in 6 months). Still , that's not a bad amount for only 7 chapters...It's done in alternating first person Pov which I know some people dislike, however, at least it's consistent.
It's hard reading a story when the point of view is always changing. Do you guys agree?

Anyways, I have a lot of things to fix but if/when I ever finish it you'll be the first to know!

Ponyta
Ponyta

Back to top Go down

Post by SenpaiSamaSan Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:49 pm

Hmm, I don't mind it as long as the story is good but I guess it is kind of awkward switching back and forth between POV's. Depends really, I'm not really that picky on how the story is presented. I care more about how the characters are handled, really, but even then I can overlook some things if I find the story entertaining anyway.

Yay! I hope you do finish it, no pressure though, if you don't wanna.^_^

I've wanted to write a fic for a while but I don't have the time, patience or talent for it. :P
SenpaiSamaSan
SenpaiSamaSan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:20 am

I have them when they are unrealistic to the naruto setting: For example: If I see a sentence that said: " Then Naruto and Sasuke jumped in the Bugatti to go visit there hoes Sakura and Hinata" I would immediately stop reading. (You get the point)

Back to top Go down

Post by Aelita Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:48 am

Hmm...
bad characterization
weak dialogue
Too much oocness (unless its an intended crack fic).
Overuse of authors notes,
lack of paragraphs aka wall of text
OCs with random western names lol
Rushing the story, bad pacing
Awkward storyline
I can tolerate a few grammar/spelling mistakes here and there unless it gets really ridiculous
Character bashing
Overdoing Hinata's stuttering, portraying her as weak
Having Hanabi play the "evil step sister" to the upteenth degree, same goes for Hiashi
Super flashy cheesy scenarios
really corny scenarios where I find myself cringing or facepalming from how bad and corny it is
you know, general badfic

Last edited by Aelita on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Aelita
Aelita

Back to top Go down

Post by meow69 Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Really hate overdoing the Hinata's Stuttering. She doesn't stutter very often in the Manga and even in the anime she got a lot better with it as the series went on. Honestly she even got a lot better with the fainting and blushing as well (didn't have fainting issues in the manga). Though I understand how someone would want to add those for comedy. Just don't over do them.

I hate releasing unfinished products.
With bad grammar and bad spelling
To much out of character.
Trying to change the Character too much with out reasons.
badly explained Story descriptions.
I could go on and on.

I write Fan fiction for fun I would never release anything without spellchecking or proofreading it first. (My wife is an English Mayor she helps me out a lot with this.)

If you are going to change the way a character acts then give a good reason for it.
like a Fan fiction I am working on Right now. About Hinata being forced to join the Akasuki soon after Naruto leaves to train with Ero-Sannin. I didn't just make her completely evil and  twisted right away. I made it so that she was Captured on a mission by Itachi. Who recognized her as the Hyuuga  heir without a seal for the byakugan. Pain decided that the Akatsuki could use the Byakugan with the gentle fist abilities. So Pain and Itachi put a powerful genjutsu on her that bordered on mind control. Thus changing her personality. See what I did there I gave a reason that she becomes a heartless bad ass later on in the story. Many stories do not do that. They would have her just deciding you know what I want to be evil and join the Akatsuki.
meow69
meow69

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubbles Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:31 pm

[1] Author Notes in the middle of the damn story. Can't you note it with a number or something and say what you need to say at the bottom of the page instead of fucking up the whole flow of the story by inserting your little comments?

[2] Half-assed writing . I hate when the story is half-assed, like it's clear the author isn't even trying. Especially when I think it's actually a good idea, but the author doesn't even want to be bothered to flesh out the story.

[3] OOC characters. If there's one thing I hate, is seeing the characters completely OOC. Sometimes all I can do is laugh when I see it. I can deal if it's one of those stories that requires the characters to not exactly be as they normally are (I've read plenty of really good ones like that), but if you're supposed to be portraying these characters, at least bother to try and do it right.

[4] Play format
I hate it when a story is written in play format:

Naruto: hello
Sakura: hi
Sasuke: hn.

Ugh, just write it in book form!
Bubbles
Bubbles

Back to top Go down

Post by racefan1992 Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:05 pm

My pet peeve? I just don't like fanfiction. Never have really. Don't get me wrong, people have the right to be creative and what not. I'm fine with that, i just don't like fanfiction.

It isn't what the orginal author has put alot time and effort into. I've heard some is rather good but i've also heard horror stories. So i'd just rather stick to the orginal author.

Don't hurt me. Fanfiction Pet Peeves - Page 2 4274850723 
racefan1992
racefan1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubbles Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:23 am

racefan1992 wrote:My pet peeve? I just don't like fanfiction. Never have really. Don't get me wrong, people have the right to be creative and what not. I'm fine with that, i just don't like fanfiction.

It isn't what the orginal author has put alot time and effort into. I've heard some is rather good but i've also heard horror stories. So i'd just rather stick to the orginal author.

Don't hurt me. Fanfiction Pet Peeves - Page 2 4274850723 
There are some terrible stories out there, definitely. But there are also stories that are so well written, and in character. Love those stories. I mostly only read them for shipping or when I want an interesting new read.

Eh, but sometimes fanfiction isn't peoples thing.
Bubbles
Bubbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2