Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fanfiction Pet Peeves

+15
Ponyta
Amoroq
kagome1991
Twin Steps
Mustang
Graeystone
Bubbles
ClassyLPS
Dianahinkle
dovey
Yuri
Strawberry
NekoKimio
The Merchant
eromreven
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fanfiction Pet Peeves Empty Fanfiction Pet Peeves

Post by eromreven Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 am

What are some of the things that bother you the most when reading fanfiction? (And NaruSaku doesn't really count)

One of mine would be Kyuubi(Kurama) being all nice and crap calling Naruto "Kit". Kurama didn't become a bro until Naruto used therapy no jutsu on him and he calls him Naruto.

Bashing. I hate it when people bash Sasuke for being an emo. He had his entire family slaughtered and was forced to relive it. Twice. By the same person who not only did the genocide but until that point (and recently again as well) had been his hero. Or Sakura. Sure, her family wasn't murdered. But bullying is bullying. Shit hurts, yo.

Most Harem fics. I used to like em. But as I grew older and my tastes grew more complex... they're so shoddily written, most of them. The girls are usually turned into basically sex slaves for Naruto who's inexplicably grown 9 tails, fox ears and wields a sword made out of angel blood and baby tears.

On that note, GodMode Naruto and OC's. Unless it's done for comedic purposes.
eromreven
eromreven

Back to top Go down

Fanfiction Pet Peeves Empty Re: Fanfiction Pet Peeves

Post by The Merchant Mon May 06, 2013 11:12 am

I'm pretty sensitive about pairings, lol. If the story has a pairing I really don't like, even if it's a minor sideship, it bothers me a lot and I'll usually just be unable to continue reading the story.

On that note, even if the pairing is NaruHina or another one I like, I can't stand it when they have no believable development and become a romantic couple very early in the story.

A story where Naruto is super strong, to the point where it doesn't require effort for him to defeat enemies, becomes boring incredibly fast. A story where Naruto becomes super smart, behaving differently and using big words, is just bad enough to make me facepalm.

Wardrobe changes for canon characters is stupid in my opinion. I usually forget what the author wants me to imagine them looking like and I continue thinking of them having their canon appearances.

Kyubi being nice in any story is just stupid...and that includes canon. OCs can be okay, but not if they're supposed to be as important to the story as the show's main characters. If they're supposed to be close friends with the canon characters, it's even worse.

There's one story in particular that, while it's written pretty well, has a ton of OCs. It's an AU where Naruto and Hinata are pretty much the only canon characters that are in the story, and everyone else is new. Struggling to remember the names of all the OCs, what they look like, what their relationship to the canon characters and each other is supposed to be, was just incredibly mentally taxing and I eventually stopped reading the story.
The Merchant
The Merchant

Back to top Go down

Post by NekoKimio Mon May 06, 2013 2:51 pm

OOC is the biggest pet peeve.
NekoKimio
NekoKimio

Back to top Go down

Post by eromreven Mon May 06, 2013 7:28 pm

Ooooh, or in those fics where Kurama is a "teacher" to Naruto, how he's a giant pervert? XD Sometimes it's funny, though. Depends on the writer.

Or when Kurama's a girl and she's either always wanting to rape/seduce Naruto and/or becoming some weird maternal figure? Oddly enough, that last bit did end up coming true from a certain point of view. Granted, Kurama wasn't a woman but Naruto's mum was still sealed with him.

Question: How do you feel about fics where Naruto doesn't get the Toad Contract?
eromreven
eromreven

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Tue May 07, 2013 4:14 pm

I have three pet peeves. One is when they over-do Hinata's stuttering, or make her faint around Naruto for no reason. She only fainted in the manga once! And that was only after not seeing him for almost 2 years!

Another one is when Neji and Tenten are paired together in almost every fanfic. It's like they are a default couple. I know a lot of people support this pairing, but since I personally never came to ship it, I don't like this default pairing thing that goes on in almost every fanfic I've read.

And the last one, how they make Naruto and Sakura as if they knew each other so well, that they know their every thought. That has been shown to be completely false in manga, since the only thing they understand perfectly about each other is their bond with Sasuke. I feel like sometimes their "understanding of each other's feelings" is over-hyped.
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by eromreven Thu May 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Author's notes in the middle of a damn story. Like the basically cut a sentence in half and put in their own two cents in and then go on. It's so annoying.
eromreven
eromreven

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Fri May 10, 2013 6:12 am

When authors use Japanese words, but don't know how it's romanized and/or know what it means exactly lol.
Yuri
Yuri

Back to top Go down

Post by NekoKimio Fri May 10, 2013 6:19 am

ɢɨɳ ★ wrote:When authors use Japanese words, but don't know how it's romanized and/or know what it means exactly lol.

YES. Or they'll put like 4 Japanese words in one sentence mixed with English and I just- Fanfiction Pet Peeves 2801306734
NekoKimio
NekoKimio

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Fri May 10, 2013 6:23 am

Hahahah sounds just like my mother Fanfiction Pet Peeves 982020691 (my mother speaks 3 languages and sometimes she mixes all of them in one sentence lol)
Yuri
Yuri

Back to top Go down

Post by NekoKimio Fri May 10, 2013 6:28 am

"Mom, your bilingual is showing."

But yeah, I don't mind a few here and there in a chapter, BUT TONE IT DOWN MAN.
NekoKimio
NekoKimio

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Fri May 10, 2013 6:33 am

She always speaks in 3 languages at once x'D

Exactly, lol, not to mention I used to be one of those throwing random Japanese words here and there and then the reviewers had to tell me to remove those things because they were in the way :P
Yuri
Yuri

Back to top Go down

Post by The Merchant Fri May 10, 2013 11:20 am

Strawberry wrote:I have three pet peeves. One is when they over-do Hinata's stuttering, or make her faint around Naruto for no reason. She only fainted in the manga once! And that was only after not seeing him for almost 2 years!

Another one is when Neji and Tenten are paired together in almost every fanfic. It's like they are a default couple. I know a lot of people support this pairing, but since I personally never came to ship it, I don't like this default pairing thing that goes on in almost every fanfic I've read.

Overdoing Hinata's stuttering and fainting is definitely something that becomes very annoying. Fortunately it's been a while since I've run into a story where this is a problem, though.

Absolutely agree about the "default sideships" thing as well. I've always found NejiTen to be an uninteresting pairing I always liked LeeTen better, but there are other pairings that are very common in NaruHina fics that I can't stand.
The Merchant
The Merchant

Back to top Go down

Post by dovey Fri May 10, 2013 11:56 am

I dislike:

1]Most time-travel fics
2]OP Naruto and/or OP, god/godlike sensei for Naruto
3]Overdoing Hinata's shyness
4]Any character bashing
5]Unoriginal OCs (lol) I mean like using an OC that is completely based off of another character from a different fandom
6]OP OCs
7]Having OCs as main characters
8]Having random Japanese words thrown in. Honorifics are fine though.
9]HAREMS. Especially the ones that seem like NaruHina until the end, and then "OOPS NARUTO NEEDS TO REBUILD THE UZUMAKI/NAMIKAZE CLAN SO HE HAS ALL THE LADIES!"
10]OOCness that isn't set up properly
11]Most default ships
12]Sexually frustrated Kyuubi
13]Kyuubi's a smokin' hot lady! :0
14]Over-exaggeration of Naruto's childhood abuse
15]Someone appearing (OC or not) and implementing the wrath of kami on Konoha for the way Naruto was treated (not saying I think the treatment he got was right0
16]Akatsuki x [Insert female character] fics

I'm sure there are more... >.>
dovey
dovey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry Fri May 10, 2013 4:04 pm

dovey wrote:9]HAREMS. Especially the ones that seem like NaruHina until the end, and then "OOPS NARUTO NEEDS TO REBUILD THE UZUMAKI/NAMIKAZE CLAN SO HE HAS ALL THE LADIES!"

That is so messed up. xD Starting off as NaruHina and changing it up at the end into harem is just a mega troll. Thank god I still haven't found a fanfic like that. D:
Strawberry
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Dianahinkle Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 am

Re-posting what from my tumblr cuz I'm lazy.

1. Hiashi/Hinabi= dicks.
Its such a easy plot point and honestly it's boring. Maybe the only reason Hiashi is so hard on her is because Hinata acts and looks like his dead (probably) wife? I see their relationship as just strained. Hinata does have a nature that is very kind sometimes painfully so and she hates competition and fighting so maybe he's hard on her because of it? Maybe he figures she needs harsh treatment to be able to face the ninja world?
2. Hinata cursing.
When has she EVER cursed? Stop writing her like that and use a damn thesaurus.
3. Hinata being BFF with people from other villages.
Not going to explain much here just seems unnatural. Au's included
4. Sakura= bitch.
I have alot of mixed emotions on Sakura but she in my eyes has never been a bitch.
Dianahinkle
Dianahinkle

Back to top Go down

Post by ClassyLPS Tue May 28, 2013 4:54 pm

http://m.fanfiction.net/s/3703190/1/Hinata-Does-Not

This fic I found pretty much has all of the things I hate in fics with an ooc Hinata with no warning before-hand.
ClassyLPS
ClassyLPS

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubbles Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm

I hate many things about fanfiction.

[1] Sakura bashing. Oh my god I hate seeing Sakura bashing. Sometimes, they don't even warn you either, I just get surprised with that shit. It pisses me off.

[2] Hiashi/Hanabi bashing -I hate not getting any decent fics with Hinata and Hanabi/Hiashi as a good family. What's with the bashing? I'd love the idea of Hinata and her little sister bonding. Same with Hiashi and Hinata. I'm still sobbing about my Neji. :'(

[3] Hinata cursing/stammer addict -I know Hinata stammered at times, but she was never THAT bad! N-n-n-n-Naruto-kun! W-what's u-u-u-up? Wtf is that?

[4] Plot inserted OC's. Sometimes they can be okay, but I hate having OC's in my story when they are mary-sue's/gary-stu's.

[5] Japanese inserted words Not like -kun or whatever, just random ones.

Last edited by Bubbles on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bubbles
Bubbles

Back to top Go down

Post by Graeystone Thu May 30, 2013 3:23 am

1) Authors who are from English speaking countries yet don't seem to know the basic rules of grammar and spelling.
2) Author's Notes in the middle of the story. Save that crap for after or before the chapter begins.
3) Inserting characters like the cast of Naruto in 'real life' situations like high school or rock band. A person can just create their own characters and write an original story.
Directed at bad NaruHina stories-
1) The excessive stuttering and fainting. Animated/Filler Hinata does not equal Canon/Manga Hinata.
2) Perpetual scum ball Hiashi. If Neji gets his act together then Hiashi should to. Its apparent that Neji nearly killing Hinata was Hiashi's wake up call and that he screwed up with both of them.
3) Strong! Hinata still loses to Neji. So Hinata finds her confidence and resolve well before her fight with Neji. She is strong enough to either defeat or force a tie with her cousin. . .and Neji still defeats her with a Heavenly Spin or 64 Palms. So what's the problem? NEJI DOESN'T KNOW THOSE TWO MOVES UNTIL HE FIGURES THEM OUT DURING THE MONTH OF TRAINING PRIOR TO THE CHUNIN FINALS! Unless there is some reasoning for Neji to know either of those techniques while fighting Hinata, then he shouldn't magically know them during their fight!
4) Writing a NaruHina story that is 99% Naruto and 1% Hinata or worse giving a Naruto/Hinata tag for no real reason at all just because a good chunk of stories are NaruHina at fanfiction.net.
5) NaruHinaHarem. . .this is Naruto not To Love Ru!
6) Having Hinata be more of a 'happy homemaker' instead of a 'ninja warrior'. Have her fight!
7) Naruto always inspiring or giving sage advice to Hinata but never the reverse. Going by the manga, its mostly Hinata that does that for Naruto.

A fanfiction about the subject with a bit of Mystery Science Theater 3000 thrown in-
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2865164/1/There-s-fanfiction-about-us
Graeystone
Graeystone

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang Thu May 30, 2013 4:05 am

eromreven wrote:Author's notes in the middle of a damn story. Like the basically cut a sentence in half and put in their own two cents in and then go on. It's so annoying.

Oh dude you have no idea how much that pisses me off, if you want to do an author's note save it for the end of the chapter or put it at the beginning, it breaks the chapter up and annoys the hell out of the reader.

I remember someone did an author's not and said I have a writers block, Fanfiction Pet Peeves 8894463
Mustang
Mustang

Back to top Go down

Post by NekoKimio Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:20 am

Horribly written lemons.

I DIE.
NekoKimio
NekoKimio

Back to top Go down

Post by Twin Steps Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:03 am

Graeystone wrote:1) Authors who are from English speaking countries yet don't seem to know the basic rules of grammar and spelling.
2) Author's Notes in the middle of the story. Save that crap for after or before the chapter begins.
3) Inserting characters like the cast of Naruto in 'real life' situations like high school or rock band. A person can just create their own characters and write an original story.
Directed at bad NaruHina stories-
1) The excessive stuttering and fainting. Animated/Filler Hinata does not equal Canon/Manga Hinata.
2) Perpetual scum ball Hiashi. If Neji gets his act together then Hiashi should to. Its apparent that Neji nearly killing Hinata was Hiashi's wake up call and that he screwed up with both of them.
3) Strong! Hinata still loses to Neji. So Hinata finds her confidence and resolve well before her fight with Neji. She is strong enough to either defeat or force a tie with her cousin. . .and Neji still defeats her with a Heavenly Spin or 64 Palms. So what's the problem? NEJI DOESN'T KNOW THOSE TWO MOVES UNTIL HE FIGURES THEM OUT DURING THE MONTH OF TRAINING PRIOR TO THE CHUNIN FINALS! Unless there is some reasoning for Neji to know either of those techniques while fighting Hinata, then he shouldn't magically know them during their fight!
4) Writing a NaruHina story that is 99% Naruto and 1% Hinata or worse giving a Naruto/Hinata tag for no real reason at all just because a good chunk of stories are NaruHina at fanfiction.net.
5) NaruHinaHarem. . .this is Naruto not To Love Ru!
6) Having Hinata be more of a 'happy homemaker' instead of a 'ninja warrior'. Have her fight!
7) Naruto always inspiring or giving sage advice to Hinata but never the reverse. Going by the manga, its mostly Hinata that does that for Naruto.

A fanfiction about the subject with a bit of Mystery Science Theater 3000 thrown in-
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2865164/1/There-s-fanfiction-about-us

I have no idea, but the bolded made me laugh
Twin Steps
Twin Steps

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:55 pm

For me it's ooc-ness, bad grammar, and making Hinata swear. My Hinata should not be swearing, leave that to Naruto!
kagome1991
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by ClassyLPS Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Lmao and not even Naruto swears that much. xD
ClassyLPS
ClassyLPS

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:22 pm

ClassyTopHattedDino wrote:Lmao and not even Naruto swears that much. xD

Exactly~
kagome1991
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by eromreven Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Played right, Naruto can be quite funny as a foul mouth.
eromreven
eromreven

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next