Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Irielo on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:18 am

After reading some comments, I came to the idea of making a thread about that issue: were Naruto's feelings for Sakura just a crush or were they expressing romantic love?

Personally, they were more a crush. He grew up thinking that a crush is actually love. Sakura was actually the most attractive girl in his class and Naruto at that time wanted to be respected. To get the star girl of the class would have been thus a way to get respect and acknowledgement somehow. That's why by trying to impress Sakura, he was acting like a jerk most of the time...

The fact that they were in the same team might have influenced him to think that Sakura was the only girl he could get but again that has nothing to do with romantic love.

Something else, he realized that Sakura's confession was a fake one and that she would probably always love Sasuke. That's why he had to move on and consider Hinata as an "option". I disagree with this point of view which makes Hinata a second choice.

To me, Naruto was never romantically in love with Sakura. He had just a crush which he interpreted as love. He is now discovering what true love means and is.
Irielo
Irielo


Posts : 3348
Gender : Male
Location : Back to normal

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by meow69 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:56 am

Very good points I always saw it more as a Crush that has turned more into a Big Brother type of love honestly. He values and respects her even wants to protect her but romantic has never actually developed. Though it could have if not for Hinata saving him from pain and/or Sakura's fake confession. Hinata saving him for showing him that someone else does indeed love him. It made him have doubts pretty much immediately right after the battle. As shown by the look on his face while Sakura hugged him. Hinata confessing made him reexamine his Priorities, But the final nail was Sakura's fake confession. Naruto while dense at times is not completely stupid either. He saw her confession for what it was as  "I can't have Sasuke so I will settle for the runner up prize". Sakura does indeed care and perhaps even love Naruto but not romantically. It is more comrade love for someone that has fought and bled at her side. While at times intense it is NOT a romantic type of love.
meow69
meow69


Posts : 177
Gender : Male

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Bubbles on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:41 am

Just a crush. It's only the zombie who will insist he was ever in love with Sakura (since chapter 3!)
Bubbles
Bubbles


Posts : 1105
Gender : Female
Location : Fairy Tail

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Irielo on Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:58 am

Bubbles wrote:Just a crush. It's only the zombie who will insist he was ever in love with Sakura (since chapter 3!)

Not necessarily...
Irielo
Irielo


Posts : 3348
Gender : Male
Location : Back to normal

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by racefan1992 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:32 am

Too me, Naruto has never had a good understanding of what true "love" is. He admitted it himself.

What his parents did for him when was just born was not only out of a parental instinct (parents protect their childern) but out of love as well.

What Hinata did for him against Pain was also not only because she loved him (too me she did it more out of love more then anything else) but her nindo is the same as Narutos.

I really think Naruto never believed that someone loved him the way Hinata does. It mostly likely (before her confession) never crossed his mind, even when the series started. When Hinata confessed, he finally understood why she acted "dark, weird and shy" around him.

When it comes to Sakura, a crush...........HOWEVER I think in trying to make her happy, it progressed further then that but Hinata confessing and Naruto finally understanding that Sakura will never truthfully return his feelings, Naruto let go of whatever feelings he had on Sakura. Sakura has always had eyes on Saskue (other characters have picked this up).

Naruto holding Hinatas hand (along with other things), he is developing feelings for her. Even tho i can be debated that he had feelings for Hinata before chap. 615.
racefan1992
racefan1992


Posts : 939
Gender : Male
Location : USA, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Bubbles on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Irielo wrote:
Not necessarily...

Well the zombie, and anyone else who wants to slip past the fact that Naruto has never said this, or shown to actually feel this strongly for her. I stand firm in my belief that Naruto has never loved Sakura romantically. I don't think he even understood what true love was. He probably thought his crush was love. Thinking about it, Naruto feels strongly for his friends. Add on his crush on her, and how he wishes to protect his comrades and someone with such little education on this topic could easily mistake it for "love."

I bet upon hearing Hinata's confession, he found out what real love was. That's why he called Sakura out, he knew she was lying to him and herself. He got a taste of what real love is. What Naruto had for Sakura was a crush. Growing crush perhaps, but whatever he had for her seems to be disappating at this point.
Bubbles
Bubbles


Posts : 1105
Gender : Female
Location : Fairy Tail

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Aelita on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Unpopular Opinion: At one point it was more than just a childhood crush. He had legitimate  strong feelings for Sakura, and it really hurt when he saw that she didn't reciprocate them. He didn't love her to the extent that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto, but still he really cared for her and those feelings lingered for a good long while.

*Flies away into the night*

Geez I'm like the debbie downer of this site aren't I lol

I do think his feelings for Sakura are fading and he's developing feelings for Hinata. (Though I don't think Hinata's confession was the main or only reason for his fading feelings for Sakura as it implies he's just hopping from one girl to the other). He and Sakura will always be close, but only as the best of friends. Even if he ends up with Hinata, Sakura-chan will always be Sakura-chan. The nature of their relationship (the way they interact even despite Naruto's romantic feelings) is very sibling-like to me. Sakura's like a tough big sister who gets annoyed with her brother's antics but still has a soft side for him. Naruto's like a kid brother who get's a kick out of getting a rise out of his sister.


Last edited by Aelita on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aelita
Aelita


Posts : 377
Gender : Female
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by meow69 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Aelita wrote:The nature of their relationship (the way they interact even despite Naruto's romantic feelings) is very sibling-like to me. Sakura's like a tough big sister who gets annoyed with her brother's antics but still has a soft side for him. Naruto's like a kid brother who get's a kick out of getting a rise out of his sister.

 Agreed I said pretty much the same thing but said it differently. I however do disagree about his feelings being Romantic though.
meow69
meow69


Posts : 177
Gender : Male

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Aelita on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:42 pm

^I don't like calling Naruto's feelings for Sakura "a crush" lol. I almost always refer to them as "his feelings". A "crush" implies that his feelings were superficial.
I've noticed that many NH fans like to claim Naruto's feelings to be a superficial childhood crush as a means to brush them off and make NS seem less of a threat. However I've always felt that was a little insulting to Naruto as it implies that he lacks the maturity to form non-superficial feelings for a girl, especially for a girl he's known for a long time and has gotten to know on a non-superficial basis. Saying he only had a crush on her implies that he didn't know her well, idolized her and liked her simply for being pretty. However, this simply isn't true. Naruto and Sakura were close and he genuinely cared for her. Because they were comrades and close friends, he got the chance to develop actual feelings for her. While I don't think Naruto has ever been in love with Sakura at the same magnitude that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto, because his feelings for her were never portrayed as intensely (Naruto himself has never said that he's in love with Sakura). I do think he had some strong feelings for her as evidence of how hurt he looks whenever it is brought up that Sakura was in love with someone else.
Aelita
Aelita


Posts : 377
Gender : Female
Location : United States

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Strawberry on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:43 am

The subject of Naruto's feelings for Sakura, has always been quite difficult for me to explain properly. Because while I do believe it wasn't just a crush, I don't think he ever was in love with Sakura either.

This is a kid who said he liked Sakura because she was seeking acknowledgement from another guy. Hello! He also said he didn't understand this interest in women very well. It is a confusing subject for him, and while he has indeed grown and matured a lot, there's no indication that he got better understanding of his feelings for, and interest in Sakura.

He kept pestering her with date requests (and it always seemed so childish) even though he said he couldn’t tell her how he felt. It was contradictory, because even if he wasn’t really making an effort to win her affection, he wasn’t trying to keep his “crush” a secret from her either. It’s clear as day it was still confusing for him. I dare say Naruto has better understanding of Sakura's feelings for Sasuke, than he ever had of his own for her.

I don't like calling their relationship “sibling-like”, because he did actually have some sort of romantic interest in her. I’d say he loves her as a dear friend, just like he loves each and every one of his friends. But he was never “in love” with her. His understanding of Sakura’s feelings for Sasuke always prevented his feelings for her to bloom. Acceptance is important, and he accepted Sakura was in love with Sasuke long ago.

And of course, that along with many other things have led me to believe the romantic feelings he once had for Sakura, are gone.

_________________
Lovers under the rain. ♥️
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? HR5PqFk
FOR MY TUMBLR CLICK HERE
Strawberry
Strawberry


Posts : 931
Gender : Female
Location : Mars

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Alasteir on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Aelita wrote:^I don't like calling Naruto's feelings for Sakura "a crush" lol. I almost always refer to them as "his feelings". A "crush" implies that his feelings were superficial.
I've noticed that many NH fans like to claim Naruto's feelings to be a superficial childhood crush as a means to brush them off and make NS seem less of a threat. However I've always felt that was a little insulting to Naruto as it implies that he lacks the maturity to form non-superficial feelings for a girl, especially for a girl he's known for a long time and has gotten to know on a non-superficial basis. Saying he only had a crush on her implies that he didn't know her well, idolized her and liked her simply for being pretty. However, this simply isn't true. Naruto and Sakura were close and he genuinely cared for her. Because they were comrades and close friends, he got the chance to develop actual feelings for her. While I don't think Naruto has ever been in love with Sakura at the same magnitude that Sakura loved Sasuke or Hinata loves Naruto, because his feelings for her were never portrayed as intensely (Naruto himself has never said that he's in love with Sakura). I do think he had some strong feelings for her as evidence of how hurt he looks whenever it is brought up that Sakura was in love with someone else.
It would honestly depend on where the feelings begin and the camaraderie ends. Naruto wasn't even a teenager (maybe, almost?) when he first crushed on Sakura. Physiologically and Psychologically speaking, he is incapable of forming anything but superficial feelings. He's not going to base something he admitted to not understanding on "advanced" notions like compatibility, and to base his feelings for non-sexual reasons. From a romantic point of view, it largely depends on the reasons. A crush is typically only used to refer to infatuation of someone not mature (biologically, as maturity in the other respect is largely subjective).

Part I Naruto on several occasions demonstrated a lack of understanding when it came to Sakura, and never payed much heed to her feelings till Sasuke left (Rooftop scene, Naruto sort of rudely told Sakura to not interfere) in Part II it gets complex as Naruto is never explicitly seen or mentioned, or stating himself that Sakura was a goal of his. That he wanted to be with her. If one were to not make any extrapolations and only go based on the given data of the manga, his feelings for Sakura were not love. Not rational anyways, and they were largely superficial. He doesn't exactly spend a lot of time thinking about her or her well being that would indicate love that is easily distinguishable from a crush or camaraderie (again, what part is her being his comrade and what part is his feelings for her, in how he protects her, and acts around her)

But anyways. It would ultimately depend on what criteria we are using to determine what "romantic love" is. The level of intensity? Because a crush is actually (physiologically speaking) very intense, relatively speaking. But it seems that we are going for a more rational criteria. That is, romantic love would be how devoted he is to in comparison to his other friends (which is hard to support). I could be wrong, but it is too hard to distinguish his feelings from a crush to love simply because there has been very little screen time given to his feelings beyond a sexual attraction (like Jiraiya using Sakura's name to goad Naruto into specific behaviors).

My opinion? Naruto's feelings for her lingered for so long mainly because of A: his lack of understanding of what love is, B: he's still maturing as a person and a character and C: Doesn't have anything to counteract his feelings. Till Hinata came along, he had no reason not to pursue Sakura, so to speak, given the implications his feelings were physically oriented. Meaning, since physical attraction doesn't go away even if a crush or love disappears, even if Naruto was not in love with Sakura, if he found her physically desirable enough he still would have pursued her, as is common for males to do (in the west anyways). Hell, I would blush if a girl I found really beautiful who was also a good friend said they loved me.

I feel like we are giving Naruto his own unique standard. That how he shows love is not going to be recognizable in comparison to Sakura or Hinata. I say this because it really is hard to distinguish Naruto's feelings in early part II up to before Hinata's confession as something beyond physical attraction, Part I, perhaps his crush ended when Sakura hugged Sasuke after he brought Tsunade back. His expression does sort of show a realization. But due to him still being physically attracted to her, and him not knowing Hinata's true feelings it sort of became a "why not?" with him.

The Scientist in me says there is too little data to form any conclusion whatsoever. lol


Last edited by Alasteir on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clean up. Felt like a rough draft.)
avatar
Alasteir


Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Dianahinkle on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:07 pm

I think he loved Sakura but as soon as he fully realized that she would never feel the same it broke his heart and it turned into a platonic love. I think what cemented his feelings was the failfession.

Spoiler:
This is my opinion on what Naruto is thinking during Sakura's confession.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket His face right after her initial confession.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket Shock. Confusion. Doubt.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket "So Naruto I don't need your promise anymore... You can stop chasing Sasuke..." Naruto gets and inclining of whats going on but doesn't fully grasp what she's saying.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? PbucketHe see's the somewhat pained look on her face. He thinks back to some of the most intense examples of her love for Sasuke through his eyes.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket She hugs him he stands motionless listening to her. I think deep down he wants to believe her but cant. "But Sasuke's crimes just keep growing... and it's breaking my heart... He's becoming someone distant and unrecognizable." I think Sakura is telling the absolute truth when she says this but...
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket "What are you so upset about...? I've fallen for you instead of Sasuke... They say a woman's heart is like the autumn sky, right?" He squeezes her shoulder in frustration and anger furrowing his brow further than the last page. "I hate people who lie to themselves!"


I think up to this point he still had lingering feelings for her hoping against hope that she would actually feel the same as him but I think Sakura's confession cemented that he knows without a doubt that Sakura loves Sasuke and nothing will change it. She told him everything that he wanted but he knew it was a lie.
Dianahinkle
Dianahinkle


Posts : 113
Gender : Female

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by lily567 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:40 pm

Dianahinkle wrote:I think he loved Sakura but as soon as he fully realized that she would never feel the same it broke his heart and it turned into a platonic love. I think what cemented his feelings was the failfession.

Spoiler:
This is my opinion on what Naruto is thinking during Sakura's confession.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket His face right after her initial confession.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket Shock. Confusion. Doubt.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket "So Naruto I don't need your promise anymore... You can stop chasing Sasuke..." Naruto gets and inclining of whats going on but doesn't fully grasp what she's saying.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? PbucketHe see's the somewhat pained look on her face. He thinks back to some of the most intense examples of her love for Sasuke through his eyes.
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket She hugs him he stands motionless listening to her. I think deep down he wants to believe her but cant. "But Sasuke's crimes just keep growing... and it's breaking my heart... He's becoming someone distant and unrecognizable." I think Sakura is telling the absolute truth when she says this but...
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Pbucket "What are you so upset about...? I've fallen for you instead of Sasuke... They say a woman's heart is like the autumn sky, right?" He squeezes her shoulder in frustration and anger furrowing his brow further than the last page. "I hate people who lie to themselves!"


I think up to this point he still had lingering feelings for her hoping against hope that she would actually feel the same as him but I think Sakura's confession cemented that he knows without a doubt that Sakura loves Sasuke and nothing will change it. She told him everything that he wanted but he knew it was a lie.
I agree that the confession cemented it.
but you see that part where she says'  I realized who you really are.  you're a hero who protected the village... the villagers all love you now,  and I am just one of them' when I read that I went -_-.  so (in my opinion) basically she is saying that  you're a hero, everyone loves you and so I will too.  if she had expanded on ' you've always been right  by my side' in other words if she had said 'every since we were children, and I though you were annoying and being an idiot, you've proved me wrong, time and time again you've always protected me and encouraged me' or something like that, it probably might be more convincing(if you know what I mean) but it wasn't. I agree abut the part about sasuke but everything else sakura said   Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? 315212000

_________________
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? 993395_557063127683383_1792911241_n

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? 528746348
lily567
lily567


Posts : 1440
Gender : Female
Location : barbados

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Dianahinkle on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Does anyone else think that his reaction to Sakura was because of Hinata's confession?
Dianahinkle
Dianahinkle


Posts : 113
Gender : Female

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Strawberry on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:34 pm

^ Ehe! I always thought Hinata's confession had some sort of influence in Naruto's reaction to Sakura's confession. Like... he could feel the difference from a real one, and one that wasn't real. Like he understood why Hinata said what she said and did what she did, but didn't have the same feeling for Sakura's confession. Which is why he said "you came all this way to say something like that?!" Good to know I wasn't the only one who thought something similar.

_________________
Lovers under the rain. ♥️
Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? HR5PqFk
FOR MY TUMBLR CLICK HERE
Strawberry
Strawberry


Posts : 931
Gender : Female
Location : Mars

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by SoulFire on Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:41 pm

In my opinion Naruto was never truly 'in love' with Sakura. He crushed on her mainly because he thought she was cute. As Alasteir wrote, a crush can be and usually is taken very seriously and can be a very painful experience when not reciprocated. Sure, it hurt when he picked up on Sasuke's reaction to Sakura's hug in the hospital and saw just how serious Sakura was when he made the PoaL, but I think right then and there was the first step he took at moving on.

Naruto remained attracted to Sakura and and I think he had a residual crush on her early in part two, but by the time of Sai's flashback I believe that he had reached the point where he let those feelings go (symbolized by Sakura disappearing into the distance within that scene). Their relationship grew into more of a filial one, but is hard for Naruto, himself, to define which is a possible explanation for his recent answer to Minato.

I think Hinata's confession hit Naruto like a ton of bricks. I doubt that he ever really expected any girl to have a true interest in him and suddenly here was this brave, gentle girl telling him that he had been in her heart for much of her life. Not surprising that he didn't have an immediate answer.

Then we have Sakura's attempt at a confession. Almost immediately he had his doubts, and then Sakura says a very interesting thing--that he should pay attention when a girl confesses her feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't prompt Naruto to recall that earlier and more earnest confession. Either way, he immediately rejects any continued importance of the PoaL and Sakura's proclamation of love.

Is Naruto now in love with Hinata? He's definitely leaning in that direction, though it isn't a certainty at this time. He has looked into her eyes and squeezed her hand in positive response to her presence at his side. I think it is just a matter of time before Naruto returns Hinata's feelings in full, and absolutely nothing that has occurred with Sakura since then convinces me otherwise.
SoulFire
SoulFire


Posts : 17
Gender : Female
Location : Sunny Florida, USA

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Batokusanagi on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Just a crush that went downhill as the story progressed and hit rock bottom at 469-470-474. At least in part 1 he tried to impersonate Sasuke to steal a kiss from Sakura; in part 2, though, he couldn't care less if she likes him romantically or not. You could even say say he's rooting for SS Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? 3495430729

Aelita wrote: I do think he had some strong feelings for her as evidence of how hurt he looks whenever it is brought up that Sakura was in love with someone else.
You mean in the hospital scene? He was happily eating ramen with Iruka right after it lol Or could it be when he made the POAL (though he dismissed it so easily in part 2 that it's pretty bad to use it as demonstration of his feelings)? Nope, he's totally pumped about the mission right after.
Not saying he wasn't hurt at all, but saying that means he had "strong feelings for her" is kind of a stretch. Also, all that "Naruto is sad because Sakura likes Sasuke" thing stops dead when part 1 ended.

A "crush" implies that his feelings were superficial.
But they were superficial. Chapter 3 established why he liked Sakura. It wasn't really for much... and later, when he's travelling with Jiraiya, Naruto admits he doesn't understand interest in women...

You also mentioned that Naruto got to know Sakura well in a "non-superficial basis" and genuinely cared for her and I say: "so what?" All that getting to know her an caring for her developed friendship (she's part of Team 7 and one of his first bonds), but his crush for her never got passed chapter 3...
Batokusanagi
Batokusanagi


Posts : 525
Gender : Male
Location : Fantasia

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Dianahinkle on Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:53 pm

SoulFire wrote:In my opinion Naruto was never truly 'in love' with Sakura. He crushed on her mainly because he thought she was cute. As Alasteir wrote, a crush can be and usually is taken very seriously and can be a very painful experience when not reciprocated. Sure, it hurt when he picked up on Sasuke's reaction to Sakura's hug in the hospital and saw just how serious Sakura was when he made the PoaL, but I think right then and there was the first step he took at moving on.

Naruto remained attracted to Sakura and and I think he had a residual crush on her early in part two, but by the time of Sai's flashback I believe that he had reached the point where he let those feelings go (symbolized by Sakura disappearing into the distance within that scene). Their relationship grew into more of a filial one, but is hard for Naruto, himself, to define which is a possible explanation for his recent answer to Minato.

I think Hinata's confession hit Naruto like a ton of bricks. I doubt that he ever really expected any girl to have a true interest in him and suddenly here was this brave, gentle girl telling him that he had been in her heart for much of her life. Not surprising that he didn't have an immediate answer.

Then we have Sakura's attempt at a confession. Almost immediately he had his doubts, and then Sakura says a very interesting thing--that he should pay attention when a girl confesses her feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't prompt Naruto to recall that earlier and more earnest confession. Either way, he immediately rejects any continued importance of the PoaL and Sakura's proclamation of love.

Is Naruto now in love with Hinata? He's definitely leaning in that direction, though it isn't a certainty at this time. He has looked into her eyes and squeezed her hand in positive response to her presence at his side. I think it is just a matter of time before Naruto returns Hinata's feelings in full, and absolutely nothing that has occurred with Sakura since then convinces me otherwise.
I agree with everything you say but I still think Naruto was in love with Sakura romantically. First a crush then as he got to know her I think it grew but the hospital scene and poal cemented what he didn't really want to think about. That Sakura loves Sasuke.

^^Batokusanagi

Yes Naruto told Jiraiya that he didn't fully understand his interest for Sakura but I don't think that means that his feelings were superficial.  Why do I think this well let's look at the English definition of love.

LOVE an intense feeling of deep affection.
a deep romantic or sexual attachment to someone.
"it was love at first sight"
synonyms: become infatuated with, give/lose one's heart to; More
a personified figure of love, often represented as Cupid.
noun: Love
a great interest and pleasure in something.
"his love for football"
synonyms: liking of/for, enjoyment of, appreciation of/for, taste for, delight for/in, relish of, passion for, zeal for, appetite for, zest for, enthusiasm for, keenness for, fondness for, soft spot for, weakness for, bent for, proclivity for, inclination for, disposition for, partiality for, predilection for, penchant for.
Dianahinkle
Dianahinkle


Posts : 113
Gender : Female

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by SoulFire on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:51 am

What the hospital scene cemented was Naruto's realization that Sasuke had feelings for Sakura--something that he had not really considered until then. Sakura's feelings for Sasuke had always been apparent, but Sasuke's reaction to her hospital hug brought something new into the equation. Sakura's tearful plea for Naruto to save Sasuke only sealed the deal in Naruto's mind, fueling his decision to step away from his crush.

Because I see a crush as every bit as emotionally charged as full blown love and because Naruto had no real reason to fall 'in love' with Sakura beyond finding her cute and realizing that she sought acknowledgement, I find his feelings more representative of the former. In that way his feelings were superficial, however the emotion that a crush creates is far from superficial in its affect on the heart.

Sakura's rejection of his affections was also another in the many rejections that made up Naruto's life, adding to any pain he felt. Still, Naruto never felt more than a brief pang when faced with the fact that romance with Sakura was not in the cards. He never angsted over his loss and as Batokusanagi said even went on to lunch with Iruka without another thought about it. He really didn't understand the intricacies of romantic love, as he admitted to Jiraiya.

Naruto hasn't really been presented with what true love might possibly be until he was faced with Hinata's confession.
SoulFire
SoulFire


Posts : 17
Gender : Female
Location : Sunny Florida, USA

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Batokusanagi on Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:14 am

Dianahinkle wrote:
Yes Naruto told Jiraiya that he didn't fully understand his interest for Sakura but I don't think that means that his feelings were superficial.  Why do I think this well let's look at the English definition of love.
In women, not in Sakura in particular.  Anyway, which one of those definitions helps your case? As I said, chapter 3 laid down why Naruto liked Sakura, and those reasons are the only ones he's EVER given and, I don't know about you, but those are pretty superficial reasons: "She's pretty"  is shallow and wanting Sasuke's acknowledgement is pretty much invalid at this point because Naruto already has Sasuke's acknowledgement.

That his crush grew into something else is just a headcanon, not something Kishi has actually bothered to put in the manga.
Batokusanagi
Batokusanagi


Posts : 525
Gender : Male
Location : Fantasia

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by racefan1992 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:21 am

SoulFire wrote:



I think Hinata's confession hit Naruto like a ton of bricks. I doubt that he ever really expected any girl to have a true interest in him and suddenly here was this brave, gentle girl telling him that he had been in her heart for much of her life. Not surprising that he didn't have an immediate answer.

Is Naruto now in love with Hinata? He's definitely leaning in that direction, though it isn't a certainty at this time. He has looked into her eyes and squeezed her hand in positive response to her presence at his side. I think it is just a matter of time before Naruto returns Hinata's feelings in full, and absolutely nothing that has occurred with Sakura since then convinces me otherwise.
I agree with the first part. While he never understood what love was, Hinata gave him the concept of it and meeting his mom and dad reenforced that concept. Now i think he has a decent understading of what love is. My guess is that since Sakura rejected him so often, he got used to it and never had a thought enter his mind about another girl having an interest in him (like you said). But Hinata got rid of that paradigm.

The second part i also agree with. He is inbetween friendship and companionship with Hinata. He fews her as a friend but his feelings and reactions so her lean more in the other direction.
racefan1992
racefan1992


Posts : 939
Gender : Male
Location : USA, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love? Empty Re: Naruto's feelings for Sakura: crush or romantic love?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum