Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P

Homoerotic Undertones in Naruto?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Homoerotic Undertones in Naruto?

Post by kagome1991 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:49 am

Okay, I never really gave much thought about this but as usual I was browsing on Naruto forums and this caught my attention. The members on there were discussing if there were homoerotic undertones in Naruto in regard to the manga. I suppose they were talking about the relationship between Naruto and Sasuke, Hashirama and Madara, Zabuza and Haku etc.

One member complained that certain scenarios when dealing with these relationships appeared "gay" and wondered if this so called "gayness" was intentional for the manga.

Now I have no idea what the heck this person was going on about when it came to this because I see absolutely nothing in the manga that would trigger such a reaction I suppose. These relationships deal with deep friendships and bonds. What, two guys can't be close and be called friends without it being gay? I just don't understand this. Unless I don't know what homosexual means or is, then I must be missing something here.

What do you guys think? I would like to hear your opinions on this because I guess it bothers me when people think this.
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Re: Homoerotic Undertones in Naruto?

Post by GreatKungLao on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:00 am

Those, who call Naruto's and Sasuke's (Hashirama's and Madara's, etc.) friendship been gay-ish just never had best friend in real life, I suppose.

The same thing you can say about Obi-Wan and Anakin is Star Wars 3, especially when Obi-Wan said "You was a brother to me! I loved you". But some people don't understand, that "I love you" can mean not only something like when it's said from man to woman.

Seriously, when you have a best friend, wouldn't you also do everything for him to help, to save? Wouldn't you love him? Wouldn't you care about him as much, as Naruto cares about Sasuke?

If person's answer is no, then he has no best friend or real friend as well.
GreatKungLao

Back to top Go down

Post by engetsu on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:24 am

Those, who call Naruto's and Sasuke's (Hashirama's and Madara's, etc.) friendship been gay-ish just never had best friend in real life, I suppose.

This, when you know someone for years and years you become very close. When you add war to the mix, they become brothers willing to die for one another. It's not gay, it's brotherhood.

I remember people calling spongebob and patrick gay too back in the day.
engetsu

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatKungLao on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:08 am

engetsu wrote:

This, when you know someone for years and years you become very close. When you add war to the mix, they become brothers willing to die for one another. It's not gay, it's brotherhood.

I'm afraid some people are still making their conclusions about Naruto and Sasuke being gay-ish because of accidential kiss. Oh God, why... It was done for the humor for the God's sake.

But if even Naruto's and Sasuke's relationships looks like homoerotic for some people, I'm afraid to see their reactions on Zabuza and Haku, Itachi and Sasuke (especially after fight with Kabuto and "I love you" from Itachi) and Kimimaro regarding Orochimaru.
GreatKungLao

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:15 am

@GreatKungLao

Thank you! That's exactly my point! That's just what you do for your best friend and there shouldn't be anything gay about it. I don't know, it just pisses me off when people say stuff like this. Just the littlest thing can be considered being gay or whatever. People shouldn't even consider Itachi and Sasuke being gay just cause of that scene where Itachi told Sasuke he loves him. They're brothers for God's sake! I suppose are reading it a bit too deep but even then that's stupid.

@Engetsu

You are right as well. I do remember that with spongebob. I just shook my head to tell you the truth.
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatKungLao on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:19 am

I personally have no problems with gays at all, but when people misunderstands what is gay and what is not pisses me off as well.
GreatKungLao

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:24 am

GreatKungLao wrote:I personally have no problems with gays at all, but when people misunderstands what is gay and what is not pisses me off as well.

I feel the same way. And that's why when I saw that topic on that forum and the person's question as well as his reason for thinking that, I just was like, "Dude, do you even know what gay is or means? Do you? Cause if you do, then there's no way that's what is going on in this manga."
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by engetsu on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:43 am

GreatKungLao wrote:
engetsu wrote:

I'm afraid some people are still making their conclusions about Naruto and Sasuke being gay-ish because of accidential kiss. Oh God, why... It was done for the humor for the God's sake.

But if even Naruto's and Sasuke's relationships looks like homoerotic for some people, I'm afraid to see their reactions on Zabuza and Haku, Itachi and Sasuke (especially after fight with Kabuto and "I love you" from Itachi) and Kimimaro regarding Orochimaru.

While were at it we may as well call hashirama and madara gay too.

Actually you know what, they might be to tell you the truth....
engetsu

Back to top Go down

Post by Aelita on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:40 am

NaruSasu will still always have a special place in my heart lol.
Naruto and Sasuke knew one another in the academy, but Naruto's pride prevented him from befriending Sasuke and the two became not-so-friendly rivals. They didn't really bond until they were placed together on the same team, which lasted a little over a year lol. The reason Naruto's so stuck on Sasuke is that Sasuke (along with the rest of team 7 and Iruka), helped save him from his loneliness, which Naruto had considered a personal hell. Sasuke became a precious person to Naruto, so much so that he considers him a brother. And because of that, Naruto will go to the ends of the earth for him. This is also why Haku was so loyal to Zabuza and Kimimaro to Orochimaru.. Just think of the speech Naruto gave Gaara why he was so adamant about protecting his friends, or what Gaara told Lee during the Sasuke retrival arc."Even if you know you're precious person is bad, a person can not defeat loneliness". You can't really compare the bonds between a case like Naruto and Sasuke to a more normal friendship like Shikamaru and Chouji, who's friendship has way less subtext lulz.

I once read someone theorize that Sasuke's either asexual or demisexual. Him being demisexual makes sense to me.
People tend to pair Naruto and Sasuke up because the bond between those two is the strongest and most emphasized bond in the manga. Out of all of Naruto's friends his age, it is the bond Naruto has given the most importance to. The two are just always so fixated on one another. However, most of the time people are just joking around whenever they call Sasuke Naruto's boyfriend lol.

Mads and Hashi really make me wonder sometimes though lol. The homoerotic subtext is especially strong in that bond. In a few chapters they had managed to out-gay a manga's worth of SasuNaru subtext, to the point where I wondered if this was intentional. I mean that line where Hashirama threatened to end his own brothers life if he so dare touch a hair on Madara's body? Madara's obsession with Hashirama (He has a Hashi christmas tree in his pad, the guy's face on his chest and not to metion that rape face when he sniffed Hashi's cologne chakra)? How calm and collected Madara acts until Hashirama is in his vicinity? It's really easy to interpret romantic subtext in this relationship. So easy that it makes me wonder if Kishi's doing it on purpose. I know Hashi has a wife but it makes me think of some Broke back Mountain ish. I mean, Hashi completely omitted Mito--the first jinchuriki of the Kyuubi--from his story of the Leaf's origins. She didn't even make a small cameo. In SasuNaru's case I can say yeah I'm pretty sure Naruto's straight, despite his damn near obsession with Sasuke. With HadaMashi, part of me wants to say they're straight just cuz of the nature of this kind of shonen manga, but Idk the lines a more blurred lol.
Aelita

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatKungLao on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:00 pm

Maybe Naruto was "obsessed" with Sasuke once, always screaming to the tears about him, but Naruto's reaction on Sasuke's arrival in 631 made say "Dude, you finally grow up". I mean, I really like their friendship, but I didn't like, how Naruto reacts about it sometimes, but 631 was just "Wow!" for me. Because I expected from Naruto "SASUKEHH!!!!!!! :'(", but instead I've got "Oh, you finally here, huh".
GreatKungLao

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:21 pm

I think the whole Madara x Hashirama homoerotic undertone started out as a joke, for the infamous:

Hashirama: "I'm coming, Madara!"
Madara: "Come, Hashirama!"

Which was taken out of context, obviously. Not only that one, but there were other lines like "I can't believe you got my back", and "If it's you, I don't mind it", and especially "Might as well make it quick, Hashirama", and so on. LOL!

They were taken out of context to make a joke, but I guess some people took it seriously. No one can resist MadaHashi after all.

Naruto and Sasuke.. I don't know. I guess it's a mix between Sasuke rejecting all of his fangirls, which is not a big deal at all in my opinion, the accidental kiss and the fact that Naruto not only was willing to give up even his life for Sasuke, but he also hyperventilated and fainted for Sasuke.

Things mostly get taken out of context in the fandom to make a joke, but after some time of the same jokes they start sounding like true, and some people take it the wrong way. I don't think there are any actual gay characters in the series as of now, not that there would be anything wrong if there were.

FOR MY TUMBLR CLICK HERE
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 pm

@Aelita
I know people joke about it just to make fun especially in Hashirama and Madara's case lol. I just looked up what demisexual means and I guess that does fits Sasuke. And with Hashirama and Madara's case, the way Hashi threatened his own brother if he were to touch him, the way I reacted was,"Huh, he really cares about the guy." and that was it, but it seems people were taking that seriously to the point they wonder if there is something homo-ish there.

@GreatKungLao
I wouldn't say Naruto was obsessed with Sasuke but more fixated on him to the point that he would faint and cry when it came to him.

@Strawberry
I agree with you. You pretty much said it all. Stuff is taken out of context to make jokes which is cool if it's not taken too seriously. Of course if there were gay characters in it there would be nothing wrong with it but still this a shounen manga, people shouldn't expect stuff like that.

On another note: I love yaoi and shounen-ai as much as the next fangirl (HashiMad is pretty fun to think about XD as well Narusasu) but it should not be taken seriously to the point that people think that's Kishi intent for the manga and then it gets all out of hand. Believe me I read some crazy stuff lol.
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Irielo on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 pm

What is normal friendship in some cultures is unfortunately interpreted as "homoerotic" in others... That's something quite annoying and disturbing because I never had that feeling of "homoerotic undertones" while reading Naruto.

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:59 am

^ Ah, I see what you mean there. Cultural differences can do that I suppose.

Well I would like to say that I'm glad that I can discuss things like this with you guys cause we can have a pleasant discussion without someone going all crazy on me when something like this comes up. People can be so ignorant sometimes and when people make accusations about something being "gay" or whatever it bothers me I guess cause then I would question how and why they think that without valid proof. Discussing things like this with people without being attacked for it makes me happy! ^u^
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Irielo on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:12 am

^ I read things about SasuNaru or Kakashi and Iruka. Nothing homophobic but I just want to say: hey people, just don't try to see things where they don't exist.

I mean, Naruto and Sasuke are like brothers, Naruto did not have any family, thus Sasuke was/is like his brother. There is always a kind of competition between brothers, Sasuke was the genius and Naruto the failure. Naruto then worked hard and became stronger that even Sasuke was jealous of him. These kind of feelings are very normal for brothers.

Sasuke lost his brother after the Uchiha clan's destruction and he could understand very well Naruto's loneliness. 'That's why he told Sakura that she was annoying when she was criticizing Naruto saying that he had bad manners because he grew up without parents.

That's brotherhood:a kind of mixed of friendship, rivalry and even jealousy sometimes...

As far as Kakashi and Iruka are concerned, I don't know where this idea comes from but I guess it's a fantasy that some have.
Irielo

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:12 pm

^ You hit the nail on the head. That's exactly how I felt about it. People tend to interpret things the wrong way and then take it so seriously to the point they think its a fact or something.
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Graeystone on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 am

Its worse than people think!

Spoiler:
Graeystone

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:08 am

Graeystone wrote:Its worse than people think!

Spoiler:
'

Dude, wtf? Am I really seeing this right now? Graeystone, is this what some people think?! So what, now you can't even love your own brother without insinuating some incest like fantasy?   

Just what the hell is going on here?
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by GreatKungLao on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:13 am

kagome1991 wrote:Just what the hell is going on here?
It's 21st century and it's the internet. You can't expect less from this.
GreatKungLao

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:46 am

GreatKungLao wrote:
kagome1991 wrote:Just what the hell is going on here?
It's 21st century and it's the internet. You can't expect less from this.

I guess you're right but this...is so....frigging stupid!~ 
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Strawberry on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Spoiler:

Not gonna lie, this really made me laugh xD But at the same time, it's sad that some people actually did think that scene showed anything "gay". It was a lovely gesture between brothers, and it's a shame that it gets taken out of context.

FOR MY TUMBLR CLICK HERE
Strawberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Aelita on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:44 pm

Spoiler:

1) obviously they're just joking

2) Why are you surprised? Welcome to Anime fandom. Yaoi, Incest, etc its been floating around and been embraced by Anime fandoms for so long you really should be desensitized by it now.

Spoiler:

Twincest anyone?

Sure I myself tend not to like incest pairings (save for a little bit of NejiHina), but you should really be used to this kind of stuff popping up in Anime fandoms by now lol.
Aelita

Back to top Go down

Post by kagome1991 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:34 am

^ Yeah you have a point but what I mean is that some people take it too seriously lol
kagome1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Zori on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:54 pm

Sasuke and Naruto make me wonder, same with Madara and Hashirama.

Sometimes, they do be acting a little homosexual in the manga, but I woudln't even mind since I like yaoi.
Zori

Back to top Go down

Post by Skywardstrike on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:27 pm

Please no. I mean... im okay with the choice but Naruto is not GAY. Ask anyone in this forum!
Skywardstrike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum