Hello! Welcome to the official NaruHina Forums! If you're new make sure you register and introduce. :)

Otherwise, just login, you! :P

I'm worried.

Go down

I'm worried.

Post by eromreven on Thu May 23, 2013 2:05 pm

I started talking to my little cousin and I'm now suddenly worried about the future of America. I asked her what she liked to do in school, she said nothing. I'm okay with that that, she's in the 6th grade and they don't get to learn all the cool things that extracurricular classes teach. But she doesn't know anything about... ANYTHING. She has no idea what a dictionary or a thesaurus is, she had no idea what encyclopedias were, her favorite books are picture books. She couldn't name 10 states. She has no idea what the constitution or the declaration of independence is, who any of the founding fathers are, thought the Mayflower was a restaurant...

Seriously. I asked her what she liked to do. "Watch Duck Dynasty and jump on the trampoline".

Is this how kids are now or is it just this one? Cuz when I was 12 I was a goddam genius comparatively.
avatar
eromreven


Posts : 458
Gender : Male
Location : Covering The Carolinas

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by ClassyLPS on Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm

12 year olds today are already losing their virginity and smoking.
What is wrong with the world!?
avatar
ClassyLPS


Posts : 576
Location : California, it ain't that sunny..

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by eromreven on Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm legit upset.
avatar
eromreven


Posts : 458
Gender : Male
Location : Covering The Carolinas

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by Twin Steps on Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 pm

You know, she's only one person......though it's just as bad in Canada, with zombies walking around on phones left and right.
avatar
Twin Steps


Posts : 854
Gender : Female
Location : Ottawa, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by eromreven on Thu May 23, 2013 3:04 pm

I just don't want her ending up like me and being totally unmotivated to do anything. I'm basically on the edge of homelessness and abject poverty at the moment and I don't want her to suffer that.
avatar
eromreven


Posts : 458
Gender : Male
Location : Covering The Carolinas

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by racefan1992 on Fri May 24, 2013 7:39 am

ClassyTopHattedDino wrote:12 year olds today are already losing their virginity and smoking.
What is wrong with the world!?

alot is wrong. I don't think parents now a days give a damn.
avatar
racefan1992


Posts : 939
Gender : Male
Location : USA, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by Yuri on Fri May 24, 2013 10:18 am

Okay, I'm laughing. Hard. XD

_________________
Naruto and his waifu <3
avatar
Yuri


Posts : 800
Gender : Female
Location : Holland

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by ClassyLPS on Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am

Wub wub wub eer eer wub wun deedle dee.

-Every dubstep song ever

Sorry, off-topic, what's funny?
If you're laughing for the reason I think you're laughing I'm going to be sad.. And possibly grow another head.
I don't want another head. :(
Then I would have to type emoticons like this--> :( ): xD (x
avatar
ClassyLPS


Posts : 576
Location : California, it ain't that sunny..

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by eromreven on Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

What's funny?
avatar
eromreven


Posts : 458
Gender : Male
Location : Covering The Carolinas

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by Yamasaki Akaiko on Fri May 24, 2013 3:10 pm

eromreven wrote:I started talking to my little cousin and I'm now suddenly worried about the future of America. I asked her what she liked to do in school, she said nothing. I'm okay with that that, she's in the 6th grade and they don't get to learn all the cool things that extracurricular classes teach. But she doesn't know anything about... ANYTHING. She has no idea what a dictionary or a thesaurus is, she had no idea what encyclopedias were, her favorite books are picture books. She couldn't name 10 states. She has no idea what the constitution or the declaration of independence is, who any of the founding fathers are, thought the Mayflower was a restaurant...

Seriously. I asked her what she liked to do. "Watch Duck Dynasty and jump on the trampoline".

Is this how kids are now or is it just this one? Cuz when I was 12 I was a goddam genius comparatively.

While she might be a bit of an extreme case in terms of lacking knowledge, that general issue is affecting more people from my vantage point. Whether it's more people due to the fact that there are more people nowadays than in the past or it is actually a true significant percentage increase is unknown to me.

However, some of those things you mentioned (dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia) aren't considered a big deal anymore because of the increased usage of the Internet for finding information.
avatar
Yamasaki Akaiko


Posts : 925
Gender : Female
Location : USA

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by eromreven on Fri May 24, 2013 3:15 pm

On the bright side, she didn't think a thesaurus was a dinosaur.
avatar
eromreven


Posts : 458
Gender : Male
Location : Covering The Carolinas

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by NekoKimio on Fri May 24, 2013 5:41 pm

I am also worried about the future of the USA, it's looking grim if you ask me. I can even tell by my younger siblings that it's not looking right. We need to revamp the educational system, that's one thing. There are just so many problems. It honestly worries me enough to where I seriously want to consider the option of not ever having children. It's sad because that's one of the main things I've always looked forward to having in my life, a child. But now I don't want to know if I want to do that in the world we live in today.

_________________
♥️김태연♥️
avatar
NekoKimio


Posts : 1184
Gender : Female
Location : Louisiana

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by The Merchant on Fri May 24, 2013 10:06 pm

Well, is your cousin good in other classes? Math maybe? If she's really just that bad at every subject, then she might have a legit learning disability. That, or maybe she just needs to be around someone like you more often, who makes sure that she's learning something.

My brother knows a lot of stuff about historical events, historical people, and how things like guns and computers work different in reality than they do in movies, but it's because I'm always teaching him about this sort of stuff.
avatar
The Merchant


Posts : 82
Gender : Male
Location : Pueblo

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by eromreven on Sat May 25, 2013 1:44 am

NekoKimio wrote:I am also worried about the future of the USA, it's looking grim if you ask me. I can even tell by my younger siblings that it's not looking right. We need to revamp the educational system, that's one thing. There are just so many problems. It honestly worries me enough to where I seriously want to consider the option of not ever having children. It's sad because that's one of the main things I've always looked forward to having in my life, a child. But now I don't want to know if I want to do that in the world we live in today.

Yeah, I know the feeling right now.

The Merchant wrote:Well, is your cousin good in other classes? Math maybe? If she's really just that bad at every subject, then she might have a legit learning disability. That, or maybe she just needs to be around someone like you more often, who makes sure that she's learning something.

My brother knows a lot of stuff about historical events, historical people, and how things like guns and computers work different in reality than they do in movies, but it's because I'm always teaching him about this sort of stuff.

I haven't started really trying to quiz her about any other subjects. History is the one I'm most knowledgeable in (mostly because I'm unemployed and watch the History channel for fun) and to be honest I don't exactly have faith in much of the other programs. I went to the same schools and...well... I had several teachers that were honestly unqualified to teach their subject. Seriously. One of my history teachers had a higher degree in English than history, my physics teacher was a mechanical science major and so on.
avatar
eromreven


Posts : 458
Gender : Male
Location : Covering The Carolinas

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by Bubbles on Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:06 pm

This whole world worries me. Just, there's so much shit wrong with it, it just depresses the hell out of me. :/
avatar
Bubbles


Posts : 1104
Gender : Female
Location : Fairy Tail

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by white011 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:20 pm

In her age i think she doesn't have yet a goal unlike just give them are reason why they need to dream so they can figure it out their self.Like me before i don't know also what to do and because we seen what life is i set a dream for my self including today where i am switching using electronic cigarette and take note i bought it in Finland at http://www.paulsaar.com/ and i am hoping for her that someday she will not she need a future.

white011


Posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Re: I'm worried.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum